If you are reading this, be proud of yourself—you made it through 2016. Regardless of the ups and downs, you are here and I am happy to know and connect with you.
For me, 2016 was a year of CLARITY. From the U.S. election to the #DAPL, there has been a whirlwind of activity that led me to recommit to doing more social justice work than ever before—in whatever form it takes—more conversing, writing, volunteering, donating, etc.
And, I encourage you to do the same.
With that being said, sometimes the end of the year can feel overwhelming and your future unclear. As we get bombarded with messages about resolutions and goal digging, I invite you to be still and focus on the right now. While I am in full support of setting goals, I believe it is important to slow down and spend some time reflecting on and celebrating how far you've come. And yes, even the small feats deserve recognition so go easy on yourself, write them down and smile.
I shared this on Instagram in the past, but if you missed it, here are my 4 R's for winding down and going deeper at the end of the year:
In honor of reflection, this year I decided to try Danielle LaPorte's 5 Q's for a Deeper Year in Review and wanted to share it with you in hopes that you will also do this in your own life.
What didn't work:
- Soul-less Leadership: Allowing leadership (in both professional and personal activities) to weigh me down to the point where I lose my interest in my own work.
- Lack of accountability! Joining partnerships where people don't understand the value and importance of TIME.
- Not enough writing. *...and then I remember what Sandra Cisneros said about writing. Me: Takes a deep breath.*
- Not enough exercise.
- No international travel.
What did work:
- Saying yes! Opened myself up to new friendships and it was magical.
- Saying no! 2016 was all about 'saying no' to people and things that didn't feel good to my soul.
- Less phone time and social media. I live for face-to-face contact with people so this was a huge win for me.
- Took some time off.
- Saved money!
- #PAREA Monthly Group - nothing like gathering with a group of fierce and fearless women.
- Supported a mental health and healing event with one of my SiStars.
- Babysitting Obie with my man, AV.
- Cleared out my shoe collection and closet. Donated all of the items I no longer use. Hello, abundance!
- Sold-out of my #LoveQuoteBox - thank you to anyone who purchased a box.
- Eliminated all of my debt! *insert dancing and crying emoji*
- Wrote about solidarity and Maylin Reynoso.
- Went to DC with AV.
- Attended Moving Mountains Annual Fundraiser Dinner. Humbled.
- Met and was inspired by Dr. Marta Moreno Vega. LIFEEEEEEEEEE. She is The Truth. Here is actual footage of me from that day:
- Election debate/night afterparties with M and J.
- Sushi and convos with the bestie. Never gets old.
- Started my book club, Book Hive.
- New apartment!!! Move date: January 1. Ummm, 2017, here we come.
What does the new year look like if it's full of what works...very, very generally...
- Purposeful work.
- Conversation + Connection. *more face-to-face*
- Airplanes + Adventure.
- More reading.
- Relationships are everything. *taken from Danielle LaPorte
- Love. Light. And more love. And more light.
So sit down, invite a friend and do your Year in Review with them. Here's to celebrating yourself deeply and fully.
And, at last...I'm out. See you next year.
Wishing you, your family and your friends a wonderful holiday.